Leadership Development Award
Each year, the YCC organizes a Leadership Development Workshop that is geared toward younger chemists and is held in conjunction with the ACS Annual Leaders' Conference as part of the ACS Leadership Development system. The Leadership Development Workshop is designed to help young chemists develop into highly skilled leaders in the Society and in their chosen profession by:
- Developing leadership skills that will be useful to members at work and in their volunteer roles
- Identifying the value and benefits of being an ACS volunteer leader to leaders and their employers
- Acquiring knowledge and sharing best practices through networking with other ACS leaders, governance and staff
- Having fun through engaging and interactive sessions throughout the conference
The YCC grants 15 Younger Chemist Leadership Development Awards that support ACS members who are less than 35 years of age to participate in the annual ACS Leadership Institute and the Leadership Development Workshop, which will be held virtually through 2021. Fifteen award winners are selected annually with an additional fifteen award alternates invited to attend the ACS Leadership Institute provided they, or their employer, cover all expenses. More details regarding virtual ACS Leadership Institute will be forthcoming once available. Check back here for more information.
Awards are made on the basis of scientific merit and cover the registration fee, transportation, lodging, and meals associated with attending the Younger Chemist Leadership Development Workshop and the ACS Leadership Institute.
Alternates are invited to attend the Younger Chemist Leadership Development Workshop and the ACS Leadership Institute with their own funding.
- Under the age of thirty-five (35) years of age at the time of application
- Current graduate student, post-doc, OR within the first seven (7) years of a professional career
- Current ACS member
- Have not received a prior award under this program
International Applicants are encouraged to apply
Undergraduate Applications are encouraged to apply here
Include in your application:
- Information describing you experiences in leadership or volunteer roles within the ACS or other organizations including work with student chapters, local sections, regional meetings, national meetings, etc.
- A short biography for publication on the YCC website (100 words or less)
- Your current curriculum vita or resume including your permanent address (PDF or DOC)
- One letter of recommendation, from someone familiar with your leadership activities and leadership potential. The letter of recommendation may be emailed directly to email@example.com. Please be sure to include FULL NAME OF APPLICANT and DATE. The applicant's name and letter of recommendation should be included in the email subject line.